Saturday, August 25

Fifty Shades of How About Some Bullet Points

This chapter-by-chapter is getting difficult, so we're gonna go with a shortened version today. Just the facts. Cut and dry. Clean and simple. Insert more clichés here, because I know James would!

Chapter Fourteen

  • Ana graduates from college and introduces her Dad to Christian (who is wearing the tie he's tied her up with, while he gives her graduation speech). They talk about fishing. It's a man thing, ya know.
  • Ana agrees to be Christian's submissive, per the re-negotiated terms from Chapter Thirteen, and a negotiation of soft limits. She does this in public, just after walking at her graduation, which of course sets her Inner Multiple Personalities a twitter: "What have you done? my subconscious screams at me. My inner goddess is doing backflips in a routine worthy of a Russian Olympic gymnast."
  • Ana e-mails back and forth with Christian, at which point he comes over.
Chapter Fifteen
  • Ana tries to give back the über expensive books Christian bought her. He wont take them, so she decides to donate them charity. He doesn't like this, so she says she'll think about it.
  • Christian deliberately gets Ana drunk before they go through soft limits (he actually says: "Drink up, let's talk about these limits")
  • Because (in his words) "Because you overthink everything... A drop of wine in you, and you start talking, and I need you to communicate honestly with me. Otherwise you clam up, and I have no idea what you're thinking" (Because liquor brings out the real Anastasia, right?)
  • He tells her he hopes she'll never have to use her safewords. Which, while it might seem (like the rest of the book) to be a good thing, just re-inforces his macho, clariboyant crapola.
  • He buys her a brand new Audi to replace her silly little bug. She doesn't want to take it, but convinces herself otherwise, and accepts it as a loan.
  • To James' credit, Christian agrees to try some regular, boyfriend-type stuff with Ana one night a week.
  • They have sexy sex, with Ana putting on the condom for the first time, expertly. They cum simultaneously, once again.
Chapter Sixteen
  • He spanks her, first punishment ever. It seems like maybe she sort of wants to get out of it, but doesn't (for what reason we don't know, but it's a little bit scary):
"From somwhere deep inside, I want to bed him to stop. But I don't"
  • She still hasn't signed the contract, so in theory, there's no safeword going on. SERIOUS SPANKING WITH NO SAFEWORD. This actually made me really skeezed out, more legitimately than anything in the book. 
  • He informs her she needs to take care of contraception, because he "hates wearing these things" [condoms].
  • They have sex again, cuddle, and he leaves.
  • She falls apart, has misgivings, all the classic signs of sub dropping. She tells him, via e-mail, and he comes back to the apartment, chastising her for not telling him she felt this way. Because it's her fault, totally, even though she knows nothing about pain, punishment, or how it will affect her, at all.
  • They talk about the spanking, and she says "I didn't like it. I'd rather you didn't do it again."
  • To this he replies "you weren't meant to like it."
  • No further discussion of whether or not it will happen again.
  • The fall asleep.
It's really, really gross. I think it's just going to get grosser. So, to make myself feel better, here are some lists of what Ana's inner-whatchamacallits have done in these chapters:

Her subconscious is able to: 
  • snark
  •  glare (over "wing shaped spectables" - because it's a harpy, get it?)
  • snap at her
  • scream
  • mouth words at her
  • run
  • scream again
  • hide behind a couch
  • go into shock
  • peek from behind said couch
  • "register shock on her harpy face," (I thought it was just the winged-shaped glassed?
  • hide her head behind her hands
  • remark bitterly
  • contribute snidely to her musings
  •  
Her Inner Goddess is able to:

  • be "not pleased."
  • bounce up and down like a small child waiting for ice cream
  • pant
  • roar
  • look like someone snatched her ice cream
  • plead
  • be prostrate
  • stare openmouthed

Worst Sentence Second Runner Up!

"I am momentarily distracted from my night of the soul."

Worst Sentence First Runner Up!

"My subconscious makes an unwelcome vitriolic return."

Worst Sentence Winner!

"I turn to my pillow and the sluice gates open."

[I had to look it up too - it means an artificial water passage. I'm sure I've seen a more obvious use of a thesaurus, but I sure can't think of it right now]

No comments:

Post a Comment